Dover, DE asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Medical Malpractice for Georgia

Q: Hello. I had a child born out of wedlock in Georgia, and the hospital stated by law I had to give him my (mother) last

(continued) name. My husband at the time of birth was not present and lived in another state. Did the hospital legally have to provide paperwork to me (mother) to prove that my husband was not the father and so that the child can take the biological father’s last name?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph E. Cheeley, III
Joseph E. Cheeley, III pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Buford, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you were married, the child was not born out-of-wedlock, so the child is considered legitimate and the child of your husband. The hospital does not have to prove otherwise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.