Orlando, FL asked in Civil Rights, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Florida

Q: I don't know what to do and I need advice to see if there is anything I can do legally about i this.

Legal documents and personal information are being posted on social media as a form of harassment and to discredit my fiance what can I do about this. I know the person responsible. What are my options

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: An attorney must review the materials/posts you mention in order to provide an opinion on your legal options and the worthwhileness of the options. See an attorney in your area who handles defamation of character and/or invasion of privacy claims or general civil litigation. If there is false information damaging to reputation, there is a potential defamation claim. If there is true but confidential information being disseminated, there is a potential invasion of privacy claim. There might also be an option to seek injunctive relief (an order to stop the conduct). If it is your fiance, rather than you, who is being harmed, she is the one who needs to consult an attorney (or both of you if you each are being harmed).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.