Manchester, TN asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Can I ask my child’s father have to pay my attorney fees since I have to take him to court for non payment

My child’s father has not paid his court ordered child support in almost 5 years, the state of Tennessee tells me to get a lawyer bc we have a parenting plan which states the father is to pay 200 a month for the child. Has not paid in almost 5 years, I don’t have money to be paying for a lawyer, but the state of Tennessee gives me no help

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: By Statute they are authorized. The Court may or may not grant the fees, for which you have to put on some proof. Also you may not collect, or get paid in full.

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: As the other answer says, you can seek attorney's fees. These are authorized by statute, including civil or criminal contempt. However, if you are awarded fees, it's just a judgment like anything else. He may not have the ability to pay and you may not be able to collect. You would still have to pay an attorney out of pocket to pursue the issue. Contact legal aid. They may be able to provide assistance at low or no cost.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.