Miami, FL asked in Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Florida

Q: If I decide to get an abortion, Can I sue the doctor or facility in the event of injury to my body or if I died?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Abortion care and any other kind of medical care must meet certain professional standards. If there is negligent conduct that is deemed to fall below those professional standards, and the negligent conduct is determined to be the cause of injury or death, there would be a potential medical malpractice claim for money damages. By the way, the State of Fla. has a website for searching for licensed medical professionals to check out their background, including a "financial responsibility" tab where you can see if the professional maintains appropriate financial security for potential claims, either by carrying malpractice insurance (called "professional liability coverage") or a "letter of credit".

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.