Asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Info on how to defend myself against child support when being put into a situation by my wife and in-laws

My wife has taken my child from me before. This time after we got back together and moving to TN because she hated Wisconsin. She and her Mother-in-law left me with a debt that include my Mother-in-law not paying for her husband's and her cell phone in a attempt to take me out the picture. I've ALWAYS taken care and supported my child as my wife hasn't worked since the my son was burned.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Child support is determined by income of the parents with certain deductions for insurance, day care, and medical costs. This calculation is then made on the guidelines in accordance with the custody schedule. Having "debt" is not going to factor much, if at all. You would be wise to hire an attorney to assist you with this determination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.