Red Oak, TX asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Federal Crimes for Louisiana

Q: If a lawyer admitted to the state bar but never to federal court represented you, is your conviction valid?

I hired a former district attorney to represent me in a federal criminal matter. He did not disclose to me that he was not admitted to practice in federal court. In reviewing my file for appeal I found a notice from the Government to the Court stating that he was not admitted to practice. Neither he nor the court remedy this while he represented me. He failed to take numerous courses of action that a federal practitioner would have known were necessary, including that I was a diagnosed Schizophrenic with bi-polar disorder and under the influence of multiple drug treatments at the time of the alleged crime and the conviction. While I maintained my innocence at all times, he insisted and coerced me into entering into a plea agreement which limited my appeal rights and opened me to restitution for the actions of a co-defendant without disclosing either. Is this agreement valid?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Columbia, MD

A: Yes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.