Skowhegan, ME asked in Criminal Law for Maine

Q: Do plaintiffs get a say over whether a plea deal sentence is harsh enough?

Specifically its a misdemeanor theft charge and there is video surveilance evidence (and he has priors as well) so the only real incentive for prosecution is to avoid the hassle of a trial...I think he needs to go to prison and also return the items so I need to know whether I'll have any say in this, or whther I can appeal the sentence or ask the judge to reject the deal if it seems too lenient.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bangor, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: The victim of a crime can be heard at sentencing. Maine law requires the State to inform victims of sentencing and their right to be heard. A victim cannot appeal any sentence imposed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.