Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Can i file contempt of court on my ex husband for not letting me get our daughter on my weekends?

I am suppose to get our daughter the 3rd weekend of every month an since February 2022 he has blocked me from having any contact with her an want let her come. I believe they have moved to North Carolina also but im not forsure.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If he has violated the court's orders, and moved without following the procedure in the statute regarding moving, then you could seek contempt. You are also allowed uninterrupted phones calls with the minor during your non-custodial time by statute. Consult local counsel to see whether you can or should seek civil or criminal contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.