Inverness, FL asked in Adoption for Florida

Q: Do I need the biological father’s consent if his name isn’t on the birth certificate & hasn’t made contact in 4 years?

My husband wants to adopt my son. We have been married for 7 years and my son’s biological father isn’t on his birth certificate, has never met him, hasn’t made contact in over 4 years, and has never paid child support. My son is 9 years old now. When we asked for the biological father to sign over his rights about 4 years ago he wouldn’t agree to it. How can we proceed without needing his consent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The court may find that the consent of the biological father is not required, but you have to give him notice of the adoption petition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.