Asked in Civil Litigation for Louisiana

Q: How can a judgment for breach of contract be rendered with no promissory note or contract signed by me?

Is there any way that I can appeal or fight a judgment rendered against me for $13,000 and there is no proof submitted nor is there a promissory note or contract with my signature for work subcontracted by another business? A letter was printed for a trial and court date but was never delivered to my home. I was aware of the initial lawsuit and filed an answer.Due to my absence through no fault of my own this judgment was rendered and now garnishments are being taken out of my paycheck monthly. As a result I have had to file bankruptcy. This is not fair and I need help but cannot afford at this time an attorney and need some pro se assistance please. Louisiana civil law

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Call/contact the local and state bar association and see if they have contact information for lawyers in your area with whom you might be able to consult on a pro bono basis, or if they can provide the number for legal aid. At this point in time, if you have filed bankruptcy, you may have limited options, however you need to determine what options you have. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.