Waterville, ME asked in Criminal Law for Maine

Q: Back in March of this year I was served a summons for an alleged assault on a member at Planet Fitness in Waterville, ME

Today I learned of a "docket # KENCDCCR202220419. How do I determine who filed the complaint and how do I get to see any & all witness statements? This is a frivolous case and a waste of the court's time. Do I need an attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bangor, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: You can contact the court for a copy of the complaint. The complaint would have been filed by the district attorney's office on behalf of the State. After your initial appearance in court, the State is required to turn over all evidence on the charge, including any statements, etc. You should seek the assistance of a lawyer. If you are facing the potential of jail time, you have a right to a lawyer and the Court will appoint you one at State expense if you cannot afford to hire one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.