Dallas, TX asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Louisiana

Q: I borrowed my friend's truck to run an errand and rear-ended someone. I was unaware I was driving an uninsured vehicle

until after the wreck. The other driver's insurance company advised they will fix their insured driver's truck and then subrogate against me. I am a single mom, 3 kids, unemployed since pandemic, I have no car therefore i myself carry no automobile insurance. I live in Louisiana. What can I expect? What is the Best way to handle this

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Louisiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I hope everyone involved in the accident is okay. Unfortunately, it is as they described it to you - the subrogation department will want its money back. If you feel you could attempt negotiate, you could consider that route, if the matter only involves property damage. If the carrier is sympathetic to your position of being in a difficult spot financially, being a single parent, and making an innocent mistake in believing the vehicle was insured, depending on your assets, they might consider negotiation. They might not - it could depend on the carrier and the claim examiner. But it could be worth a try. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.