Baxter Springs, KS asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: Is full custody worth pursuing?

I have a 5 year old son. His mother and I share 50:50 custody. I live in southwest Missouri. She lives in northwest Arkansas. Legal orders for custody arrangements have never been a consideration until recently when a few things came to my attention:

1) I have received photos from her where he no longer sits in a booster seat, including a 1,200 mile drive from FL to AR (he is below the size/age requirements for booster seat/car seat in all the states involved)

2) She pulled him out of pre-school and he now stays at home without proper supervision. An older half brother is around, but spends his time sleeping/locked in his room.

3) She moves and changes jobs once every year, so I'm concerned from a stability standpoint.

4) She has no family or support system in her area.

5) She no longer has reliable transportation bc she gave her car to her mother.

There are other factors, but I wanted to know if this is sufficient to pursue custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: This is going to be very dependent on the judge who entered the first order and how they handle modifications. You need to find an attorney who practices in the county where your custody order was entered to see what your options are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.