Lawrenceville, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: How to request continuance for 7/14 divorce final? Atty dropped ball, then w/drew.Custody. New atty.7/14, but no prep.

Prev counsel issues. Huge mistakes. Custody battle. Dad filed emerg hearing, then not allowing Mom any visits, contempt. Moms atty never filed anything or req. f/up. Def-mom Confronted atty and atty withdrew. 4 days later hearing sched for TODAY 7/14 at 1!! Mom s/w new counsel, trying to gather $ to retain 7/14, am, but No counsel prep time, mom has to go to court alone to ask for continuance. Has documentation, needs help. How can i request continuance and do I have to go to court alone to do so or contact judge early AM on 7/14? And how? Via a letter? Email? Phone call? Scared. Dad still not allowing any contact with 7 yr old. Child is suffering. Alcoholic dad, mental and verbal abuse. Please….any advice greatly appreciated. 119 days since I’ve seen my baby. Can I ask based on absence of counsel as I can’t go to trial safely and need counsel retained to proceed? I fully expect counsel to be prepared at next term of court.

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You cannot contact the court ahead of time. You can go to court and ask for a continuance for the reasons you stated. You should try to hire an attorney immediately so if the case is reset for a short time from now they can be fully prepared.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.