Q: Is there any way I can write to the Judge without hiring an attorney ?

I am a non US citizen lives in India and A Patent infringement case has been filed against me and several other US & Non US based sellers for selling online. Is there any way I can write to the Court without hiring a Lawyer to avoid a default judgement as I can't afford an attorney.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Moorestown, NJ

A: No, I am sorry, but there really is no way to do that. You'll need to hire an attorney to fight it.

In some countries, the judgment of a court in the US is not-enforceable. If you don't have any property to be seized in the US, and there is no way to collect it in India, it is possible that you'll be judgment-proof. You may want to talk to a lawyer in India about this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.