Kansas City, MO asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Kansas

Q: I am trying to get expunged. My probation was supervised and I got the 30 for 30 program, am I still on Probation?

I know where I am confused, due to this is my 1st offense.

I don't know if I'm still on P&P... Nor when I can start procedures to get expungement

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Most offenses in Kansas may be expunged if the conditions set forth in the expungement statute (K.S.A. 21-6614) are met. Depending upon the specific crime, there is a waiting period of three or five years (with a few exceptions of one, seven and ten year waiting periods) from completion of sentence, calculated generally from discharge from probation, community correctional services, parole, post release supervision, conditional release or suspended sentence.

The question you seem to have is whether you are still on probation and if not, when were you were released. For some cases, that information will be found in the court file available at the clerk of the district court in the county you case was handled or the digital court file available online. In other cases, it may be helpful to confirm in writing with the probation authority by whom you were supervised.

Kansas Legal Services (https://www.kansaslegalservices.org 800-723-6953) provides assistance with expungement in Kansas. If you require the assistance of a private practice attorney, they can make a referral for you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.