Miami, FL asked in Family Law and Social Security for Florida

Q: I was born in Philadelphia ps in 2001 at home. I have 12 siblings that have an ssn but I do not.

I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. I applied many times already. And almost lost hope. I hope I can get help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: The best place to find out about the evidence requirements to obtain a Social Security number and card is at 20 CFR 422.107. See To obtain an original Social Security number card, you must submit convincing evidence of:

1. your age,

2. U.S. citizenship or alien status, and

3. identity.

Since you don't have a birth certificate, you prove evidence of your age by providing hospital birth record before age 5, or a religious record which shows your date of birth and was recorded before age 5.Other convincing evidence that shows your date of birth or age at a certain time such as: an original family bible or family record; school records; census records; a statement signed by the physician or midwife who was present at your birth; insurance policies; a marriage record; a passport; an employment record; a delayed birth certificate, your child's birth certificate; or an immigration or naturalization record.

Proof of U.S. citizenship can be made by providing a document that shows the U.S. as your place of birth, such as would be on a U.S. Passport. Social Security will accept verification from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of State, or Federal or State court records confirming citizenship.

Proof of your identity is made submitting a document that shows your age and date of birth or parents' names, or your photograph or physical description. Examples of documents that would prove your identity include a driver's license, state-issued non-driver identification card, school record, medical record, marriage record, passport, or Department of Homeland Security document.

The documents you present to Social Security must be original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. Social Security does not accept photocopies or notarized copies. Expired documents are also generally not acceptable. Social Security may use one document for two purposes. For example, they may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity. But, you must provide at least two separate documents to meet the requirements. It is a good idea to bring more documents that are absolutely required. Call your Social Security field office and request an appointment to come in so that you will be able to keep your original or certiifed documents with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.