West Monroe, LA asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Louisiana

Q: What would happen if I made a curved bi-fold wallet like this one that is patented? (Patent # D 638,624)

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: D638624 is a design patent and thus only covers the ornamental appearance of the wallet not the more abstract idea of a curved bi-fold front pocket wallet.

Given how few details there are in their design patent, they may try to assert the idea broadly and seek take-down orders against you on Amazon if you sell there.

Best bet is to work with a patent attorney who will review the file history and see how the particular light dark pattern on the wallet is interpreted. It is possible that if you have a solid color without that light dark pattern, that you will be ok. You can take a look for yourself at https://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair

The patent attorney can also look for older wallets where the patent has expired. You are safe if you do something that is in an expired patent.

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.