Philadelphia, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: My ex wants to stop paying alimony since he is getting remarried. We have an agreement signed outside of court.

My marriage was abusive so I had an order of protection during the time. We agreed to meet up to get the divorce over with and ended up agreeing to alimony for three years. We did it online (yes it was legit) and made the agreement before the divorce was final, our divorce papers only says, “Any existing spousal support order shall hereafter be deemed an order for alimony pendente lite if any economic claims remain pending.” (Edited and added this part due to first lawyers response.)

But now he is getting remarried and doesn’t want to pay when we have one year left of payments. He tells me to take it to court if I want to. Does he have to pay even if our agreement was outside of court? It was a printed paper that he typed up and we both signed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
V Julia Luyster
V Julia Luyster

A: Without having all of the facts it would appear based upon what you state that you would have a binding agreement and he has to pay. Why did you not make this part of the Final Judgment of Divorce? Did you say something different in the court documents, for example, did you say in the court documents that there would be no alimony?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.