Bangor, ME asked in Real Estate Law and Military Law for Maine

Q: What can I go for as far as damages when a seller fully breaches a contract for a home sale?

Sellers home loan fell through on their home purchase, however, our contract to buy had no contingency about the seller purchasing a home. We were unaware they were waiting to purchase one. Seller did not show up to closing, and informed us just an hour before our final walk through they were unable to get their own loan. We’ve invested an inspection cost, multiple trips to the property, lost wages, and are now unable to purchase another property at the same price due to the drastic difference in interest rate.

Seller has not informed us they cannot move, we found out when our request to transfer internet service was cancelled and we received a call from the internet company stating the buyers aren’t moving and need to reinstate service. We did the transfer request two business days prior to closing, to ensure there was no interruption to service when we moved in 4 days after. We packed a house, have to pay another rent, and they threatened violence on us if we showed to walkthru.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Depending on the terms of your Purchase and Sale Agreement, and assuming the sellers have breached that Agreement, you have two general options to consider pursuing, which are mutually exclusive. First, you can seek the return of your earnest money deposit. Additionally, you can seek money damages for the sellers' breach, including fees and costs you paid when working through the sale of the property. Second, you can sue the sellers for specific performance, in an effort to compel them to sell the property to you at the contract price.

I encourage you to seek legal advice from an experienced real estate attorney. My partner and I regularly handle matters such as this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.