Ogden, UT asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: What is the Utah code for renters/landlord on rights to terminate a month-to-month lease and time to vacate in utah?

I was given 30 days notice to vacate the premises and exactly 30 days to vacate as from last night (07/18/2022) and he is giving me until 08/16/2022 to do it. My understanding is that I had until the end of the following month of August. To say the least he has been a nusance. I would need a link of the code so that I may print it out. He was upset that Roy city found out that he had someone living in his shed last night as well as he was caught by Roy City Conservation. Not only was he watering outside of the allowed times, but was watering for longer than 20 min and watering 5-7 days instead of 2 days a week. Also how would I proceed if I catch him trespassing into my rented areas? Also he has repeatedly harassed me last night about trying to evict me 07/18/22. Had to take my 2 kids to a friends house friends house. Came back late, because I thought he would continue to harass me while I have my time with my kids, because he kept texting me and kept coming outside my door yelling.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: That is a lot of questions. Most attorneys will do a free consultation in their first appointment. I no longer accept clients on this type of law, but here is a great resource: do a google search for "Utahlegalservices" They help people that can't afford an attorney, and the website will tell you a great deal about your rights as a tenant in Utah.

If you are on a month to month tenancy, your landlord would have to give you notice by the 15th of July to ask you to leave by the 1st of August. If your landlord misses the 15th, he must wait for you to leave on 1st of September. This only works if you continue to pay rent. If you miss a payment, then he can evict you for failure to pay rent.

You can call the police when you are getting harassed as well.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.