Canastota, NY asked in Family Law and Adoption for New York

Q: Can I get free legal help because I am disabled in filling out and filing private placement adoption packet?

I would like to know if and where I could get low-cost or free legal help in this area? I am not elderly but permanently disabled and receive social security. I have received free legal aid in the past for taxes.

I have two children I have been caring for since May 2022. I'd like to do a private-placement adoption without their mother signing off her parental rights. The children are still with me, and their mom is still receiving medical care elsewhere. The children are 11 and 13, and neither of the child's biological fathers is involved. They refused to stay with their step-father whom their mother separated from before she went into the hospital. Can I get help with this as soon as possible? If so where?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This is something a family law attorney would know about, but you await a response for four weeks. There's no guarantee all questions are ultimately picked up, but there's an "Adoption" category here (click "Show More Practice Areas"). You could try reposting and adding that category. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.