East Machias, ME asked in Probate and Child Custody for Maine

Q: Can my 16 year old go to probate and say she wants to live with me rather than her mother?

She been living primarily with her mother and her husband. The mother and husband have threatened her physically repeatedly. She does not feel safe and does not want to return there

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel J. Eccher
Daniel J. Eccher
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Winthrop, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Without delay, you should call Child Protective Services at 1-800-452-1999.

Then, you should go to your local District Court and file for a Protection from Abuse Order on the teen's behalf. The filing fee is free; you can file it for free on the child's behalf. For more information, see the court's web site: https://www.courts.maine.gov/help/abuse/index.html

Then, you should find a lawyer who practices family law. If you cannot afford to pay one, you should contact Pine Tree Legal Services. You want to go for "full custody" or the teen should petition in probate court for emancipation.

Good luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.