Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: My two boys is mother custody of my boys she has them living with her brother she's not stable how do I get custody

She's been in trouble for not having them in school she's on drugs and more

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If you already have a custody order in place, you will need to file a motion to modify your order to have the children live with you. You have to show a continuous and substantial or significant change in circumstances since the last order was entered. If you do not have a custody order, then you need to file a paternity action or dissolution of marriage (depending on if you were married or not). You will probably want to consult with an attorney or at the very least read through MO's court website for pro se litigants.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.