Jersey City, NJ asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for New Jersey

Q: Can any civil attorney help me with a police misconduct case?

I am currently living in Jersey City, NJ. In Nov 2021, several NJ state police officers searched my home ("Unit #1") and arrested me for two possessing/distributing criminal charges. During the search and arrest, the police officers didn’t show me neither the search warrant nor the receipt of seizure. I was incarcerated in county jail and ICE custody for over a month and therefore lost my job. After I was finally released from custody, I found the cops actually executed a warrant that expired in Oct 2021, and the warrant is for my neighbor "Unit #2". Moreover, they didn't "knock and announce" before the search, and the warrant execution time is beyond the judge's request. Because I am the wrong person arrested, they could not produce any discovery so far, and the case is still in the pre-indictment phase.

I already hired a criminal attorney, and he filed a motion to suppress whatever future discovery. I am urgently seeking a civil attorney to file a lawsuit against those cops.

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes a civil attorney can help you but unfortunately most will require you to pay a retainer and pay their hourly rate. A few that I know of will reduce the hourly rate if you give them a percentage of the case but they are few and far between.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.