McDonough, GA asked in Family Law and Adoption for Georgia

Q: Birth mom snuck and placed child

Hello I’m in Georgia and found out my child’s mother placed our child for adoption. I havent did dna or anything yet but I want to and apparently baby is already in aps state. Who do I contact? She lied on her paperwork to not name me. Her friend told me. It’s been 20 days

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Based on the facts above, you likely need to file a petition to legitimize the child so that you will have custodial rights. If you successfully legitimize the child, you will be able to contest adoption and custody of the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.