Colorado Springs, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Do I have to release my children to my ex's mother while he is out of the country?

My ex informed me about a week before he was leaving the country that our children will be in the care of his girlfriends mother and his mother during his parenting time while he is out of the country. I convinced him to allow the boys to stay with me for some of the time but I would prefer that they stay with me until he is back in the country. Am I wrong in thinking the other parent should have the children when their ex is out of the country?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It depends on if you have a parenting plan and what it says. There is no law that governs who children stay with other than that a fit parent is presumed to be able to arrange for appropriate caregivers in his or her absence. You can try to negotiate an agreement that if the other parent is gone for a certain amount of time that the other parent will have a "right of first refusal" to parenting time. Or you could ask a court to require this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.