Columbia, MO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: How to remove/replace the current guardian at litem in our case doesn't seem to have her clients best interest in mind

Seems to be siding with the person who is under investigation for not protecting her child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Removing a guardian ad litem (GAL) is a difficult task if the case has been going on for a while. In the first few days of a GAL being appointed you can ask for a new one without cause. After that, you have to show good cause to have one removed. This means you have to show the judge that he or she is not acting in his or her client's best interests and that he or she is not doing the minimum due diligence. This is extremely hard to prove and you cannot un-ring that bell. Now the judge, GAL, and other parties all know you disagree with the GAL and it will make it harder to work with them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.