Denver, CO asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: Can my daughters grandparents sue me for visitation rights?

My daughter is going to be one year old next month. Her father and I already have a court order and it states that he’s supposed to get her every other weekend. However he hasn’t followed it since it was put in place and he even moved states. His parents ask to see her and I allow them to, I just don’t let her spend the night even though they have asked. Can they take me to court for that and get overnight visits with her? Her grandpa is maternal but her grandma isn’t she’s the stepmom, I don’t know if that makes a difference. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If they have provided substantial care to her for six months out of the past year they would have standing to request parenting time. The care has to be more than babysitting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.