Columbia, MO asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Do I have a civil case against the deputy or the county for violating my rights?

I was approached by a deputy while standing in a hotel parking lot and charged with obstruction for failure to ID, arrested and put in jail in Georgia.

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You do not have to provide ID unless you are driving a car or the officer has probable cause to suspect a crime was being committed. Thus, if the officer had probable cause to believe you were committing a crime, then any civil suit would fail. Further, suing police officers for conduct committed in the scope of their employment is difficult because of the defense of qualified immunity. Again, any possible civil claim would come down to the specific facts leading up to the officer approaching you and the facts of the interaction between you and the officer, and whether those facts amount to probable cause.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.