Toccoa, GA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: Child Support in Georgia question is in the more information area below. Thank you

My ex husband and I have joint custody. Our daughter 16 (he adopted her at 2), hasn't had contact for 2 1/2 years. He hasn't payed child support at all. She was being treated very badly, and starting having issues, even had to have counseling..I tried to communicate and discuss it but instead of being an adult he chose to stop seeing her and stop paying child support. Since then I have struggled paying the bills, so we have been slowly transitioning for past 3 months moving in with my parents. She has already began to stay there through the week when she has school, I will soon be there with her full time. My question is that my daughter of course wants to have our own place and keeps asking about her dad paying child support? But she doesn't want to be a part of his life, she said he abandoned me. How should I handle this situation , and also could he try to say that she isn't living with me fulltime at the moment, try to get her/ use it as a defense. Thank you for your time , KP

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the ex-husband was ordered to pay child support and is not, then file a motion for contempt to enforce the order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.