Savannah, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: I did not include a proposed final judgement in the divorce papers that I had served to my wife. Was that wrong?

She did not answer the divorce complaint. That was over 45 days ago. I have since filed a motion for pleadings and a proposed final judgement but I am unsure if the court will accept it because I did not include it in the initial packet that was served to her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If she did not file an answer, the judge is not going to just sign a divorce decree. The judge likely will set the case for a final trial and the judge will decide the terms of the divorce after that trial. So, no, you don't have to serve her with a proposed decree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.