Columbus, OH asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: What will happen now after marijuana legalization in Michigan, having a marijuana misdemeanor warrant from 2016?

I was charged with possession of marijuana, i was pulled over, officer said he smelled marjijuana, i told him i forgot i had a grinder in my council and not in the back in a lock box, I had my medical marijuana card, since it was not locked up, I gave him the grinder, he charged me with possession of marijuana and I gave him 200$ on the spot for bail and drove away. I have 3 non-violent marijuana misdemeanor charges from the past. What is the possible outcome? Will I have to pay a criminal fee, or possible citation ? I never went to court for I lived 3 and 1/2 hours away from the court. This happend in 2016. I may have a warrant, how do I check?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Great question! Like many changes in the law, it remains to be seen what will happen in situations like yours. Best thing to do is contact the court. If there is a valid warrant for you, you may be arrested on it, so it's important to address it. And what matters is whether your actions were legal at the time made. That said, I'm unaware of too many prosecutors interested in prosecuting old misdemeanor weed cases anymore.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.