Conyers, GA asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Georgia

Q: Can we fight a traffic ticket for obscured license plate when in fact the entire license plate was visible?

Top portion of the "Georgia" was covered by a broken "Atlanta Falcons" tag covering....the top portion of the covering is the word "ATLANTA" in red writing but honestly the "peach" & "Georgia" is visible. My daughter stated that he came to the car and said that the backseat passenger didn't have on his seatbelt and asked for everyone's ID. He found out by the ids that one was reported missing by the parents. (She wasn't aware of this. She doesn't know the person, only knew her 3 friends and the other (missing) person was living with one of her friends). The officer called us "her parents" and told us the same....never mentioned anything about pulling her over for obscured tag...only mentioned it to us after we arrived on scene and we physically saw the tag and told him everything was visible. Clearly shows on his dash cam!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Yes. Take the license plate to court and request the dash cam footage and present it to the judge or jury. At that point, the judge or jury will weigh the credibility of the above evidence against the police officer's testimony and determine if the tag was obscured.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.