Blue Springs, MO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Missouri

Q: Can I get in trouble legally for not allowing unsupervised visits for my children. No court ordered custody at this time

I recently split from my fiancé due to domestic violence and violence against our children. I allow supervised visits with a trusted family member. I also allow him to call them on the phone. He however will be moving into an apartment with his new girlfriend and wants overnight visits. Can I get in trouble for not allowing them to stay overnight but still allowing him to see them during the day?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You need to look into filing a paternity action as soon as possible if you don't already have a custody order in place. If there is one, then you need to be filing to modify it. If you have legitimate concerns about the kids' safety, you need to file for an order of protection. Consult an attorney as soon as possible. Look into shelters for resources on assistance with the aftermath of domestic violence and therapy for yourself and the children. They also have staff attorneys who assist women in your situation. Otherwise, find someone who practices family law in Jackson County.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.