Detroit, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: I have sole physical/joint legal custody of minor child in Michigan and have a question about child support

A child support case was initiated by the prosecutors office in Michigan against non custodial parent. This was because I was receiving public assistance. I am going to work full time and will have out of pocket costs for private insurance, but my daughter still gets daycare assistance. Non custodial parent seems to think that if I am no longer on public assistance of any kind, then his child support order initiated by the State will end. He seems to think it will be null and void if I’m no longer on assistance. Do child support orders stay in place regardless of who initiated the order? Because it’s the State’s order, will he no longer have to pay if we’re not on state aid? My understanding was that the order stands, but can be modified, not that it goes away if I am no longer receiving State aid. I was not aware that I would have to initiate a new order on my own if my public assistance ends.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your understanding is correct. Either of you can file a motion to modify the support order based on a change of circumstances. But unless it's changed, the existing order will continue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.