Smyrna, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: What code could I argue in ga.if an officer blatantly lies in a statement that assisted in my arrest And I have proof?

The officer said that the victim who is my fiancé emailed him the ring footage when, in fact, he emailed them to his self, without her permission without her knowing. And I have a ring footage that shows him emailing them to his cell with the timestamp from the email from my fiancé as well as another officer blatantly trying to block the camera view of the officer. Emailing the email.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jermario L Davis
Jermario L Davis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The primary issue you bring up here is the officer's credibility. In other words, whether the Judge or a jury should trust testimony provided by him. Unless there is evidence that the officer tampered with the footage or modified it in some way, the fact that he lies about the way in which he obtained it will probably NOT impact the outcome in the case. (That being said, your attorney could still attack the officer's credibility)

If your fiancé had been charged with a crime, she would have standing to argue that the video should be suppressed. Whether she would be successful is difficult to say without more information. But as for you, unless you own the ring camera or had control over it, in my legal opinion, you would not have standing to challenge the officer's actions.

You should consider setting up a consultation with an experienced local criminal defense attorney. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.