Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Florida

Q: If you get a car accident. Can they sue your fiancé once you get married

They are trying to sue me but I don’t have anything . Accident was over a year ago and afraid to get married because I don’t want them to sue my fiancé once we get married

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If your fiance had nothing to do with the accident (no involvement, no vehicle ownership), she cannot be sued. However, if you happen to have any assets prior to marriage and, in order to avoid paying a judgment debt, shift those assets to your future spouse or to yourself and your spouse jointly, the plaintiff could attempt to go after those assets under the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act.

A different issue you may face, if you did not have adequate liability insurance coverage and you cannot pay a personal injury-based judgment debt, is the potential suspension of your driver's license for up to three years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.