Leesburg, FL asked in Collections for Florida

Q: I got a civil action summons, I haven’t responded yet, but this is from 2016 I can’t find the case in public records?

Does this mean There is no case anymore. It said I had 20 days to respond but I don’t know that included weekends now am I too late, will I have to pay in full or can I still respond. The weird thing is I can’t find it in public records search.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jane Kim
Jane Kim pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Naples, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It is 20 days (not 20 business days).

It must have been filed, otherwise the clerk would not have issued the summons, and a sheriff would not have served it on you.

Florida has different statutes of limitations depending on the cause of action, so that this 2016 date might be important.

Obviously, you should consult with an attorney, especially if the other side has one. If it is in small claims court, go to the clerk's office, they may provide some limited guidance as to how to navigate the small claims court on your own.

Good luck.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The clerk of court in each Florida county has an online website. There you can find your case by the file number or by your name. Look up the case to find what happened; you probably were defaulted, and a default judgment entered against you.

If you are in Lake County, look here:


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.