Deptford, NJ asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for New Jersey

Q: My fiancé is close to receiving a plea deal and close to his sentencing. Is it too late to change lawyers.

He was supposed to go to a hearing on Thursday but for some reason they did not have it. Also by any chance can the money we already paid the current lawyer be transferred to the new lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You can always change lawyers however, your old lawyer will be entitled to the money he has earned already generally computed at the lawyers normal hourly rate. That being said a lot of lawyers are weary of taking a case at the last minute like this as it will take a lot of time for your new lawyer to get up to speed on your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.