Philadelphia, PA asked in Criminal Law for Maine

Q: I have 14 year old fta bench warrant for class c drug theft (which I did not commit). How can i clear it up without jail

I was charged 2008 with stealing drugs(I did purchase them, but did not steal them) while homeless. I missed two court hearings due to not receiving notice of changed/new dates(homelessness is like that). So twice I was arrested and had to post over $1500. combined bond that ended up forfeit because of my homelessness. I have lived in the next county over (yes, in house again:)!) for the past 14 years and have not cleared this up because my ongoing serious anemia issues&being stable Mom for my 2 small kids has me too terrified over the prospect of rotting in jail without medical care and indefinitely in a slow system being actually quite possible. What can I do to come clean and put this behind me without risking my children and possibly my health? I had a lawyer appointed for me that I don't trust that much and I can't afford private counsel. Any ideas short of just presenting myself at the jail would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bangor, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: If there is a bail set on the warrant now, you can turn yourself in and post the current bail amount and be released. You may also be able to negotiate withdrawing the warrant and posting a bail with the DA's office. I'd recommend contacting your previous lawyer on this matter, or hiring a lawyer, to help assist in this process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.