Benton, AR asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Arkansas

Q: What inheritance rights does one have if your civil partner dies.

Person lived with partner for 14 years but never married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donna Branch
Donna Branch
  • West Memphis, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: More details would be needed because this is not a clear cut answer. I can say Arkansas does not recognize common law marriage. However, I wouldn't give up just yet. It depends on when the property was acquired (during the 14 years or after). Did your partner have a will? Do your partner have any living children/grandchildren? What about living parents? Did you have children with this partner? All this information plus some more would be great to take to an Arkansas attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.