Portland, OR asked in Estate Planning for Oregon

Q: Can my grandmother give me her house and stipulate my mom is allowed to reside there for the rest of her life?

My grandmother wants to leave me her house, but wants my mother to beable to live there for the rest of her life. I want to know if we can stipulate this in the will?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Yes. This is called a life estate (or another option is for your grandmother to leave the property to a testamentary trust). Your grandmother needs to meet with an experienced estate planning attorney to discuss, analyze the benefits and drawbacks and put her plan in place. Be sure your grandmother knows that she should not sign any Deed or other legal document without proper legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.