Griffin, GA asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Military Law for Georgia

Q: I called the police on my boyfriend out of fear of what he would do to me and my daughter. now I don’t want him in jail

He may get 3-5 years but I only wanted space. Can I write an affidavit to keep him out of jail. They said the state is prosecuting him. Can his ptsd from the military help him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You are facing a super hard issue and the world is not very understanding.

The main issue is that no one should be in fear, especially children, at home. And a call to police is undeniable that you were scared, so the state is going to take a position that the call was valid and therefore they have a responsibility to protect you and your children from danger, even when your heart tells you otherwise.

This is compounded by the overall complexity of interpersonal relationships and then made even more complex with the PTSD, which is very real.

The nutshell is that HE needs a good lawyer, and you can work with that lawyer to support his defense. At the same time, the State is going to send Victim support folks over to "assist" you but that may be the exact opposite of what you want, and by rejecting them it puts you in an even more difficult spot.

Get him a lawyer, and work with that counselor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.