Riverside, NJ asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for New Jersey

Q: Can a juvenile be detained for a criminal act he admitted to even if everyone involved was not questioned?

My 16 yr old is being detained because he admitted to a criminal act but not everyone involved in the incident was questioned yet. Also, the weapon in the complaint is not what my son admitted too - and the complaint document was shown to us after he was detained.

Is this process correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The short answer is yes a juvenile can be detained for a criminal act he admitted to even if everyone involved was not questioned. That being said that does not mean that the police didn't do something wrong in the investigation and you should definitely hire a lawyer to determine this and represent him for the charge, because if he is being held over this is a serious crime where he probably faces the possibility of many years in jail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.