Kalamazoo, MI asked in Child Support, Criminal Law and Family Law for Michigan

Q: I am on ssi had recently 6 months of cancer treatments. Had to plead guilty for a crime from 93. Bcuz F.O.C backpay? Lg

They threatened to keep me for 4yrs or i plead guilty for 2nd hbt and pay 1500 to get out. I didn't know that ment i do 11 months on sentenceing day. I just did two and im on disability. How can they come to my home and nab me up when my kids are grown, im half alive and live a couple countys over?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your child support arrearages never go away; doesn't matter how old your kids are. Your back-owed support reached the level of felony non-support.

You should be speaking to your attorney about this, the strengths are weaknesses of your case, and any offers made.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.