Hendersonville, TN asked in Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: If a custody order for full custody in TN is issued in 2019 and someone tries to get custody in ky. Doesnt Tn have juris

jurisdiction over ky. Also Tn called for jurisdiction on that court order at that time. My kids paternal grandma is trying to take my kids and its been based on all lies. I won the first case in ky and i thought once that was dismissed it went back to my current TN order, now they are at it again and the judge just lets her keep lying

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: To modify custody and the question is which state has jurisdiction, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) will provide the needed guidance. One way that KY could acquire jurisdiction over the matter is if the child(ren) resided in KY for the six months immediately preceeding the filing of a petition seeking to modify previously ordered custody. HOWEVER, if there is a jurisdictional issue brought to the court in KY the court there may be required to contact the TN court that exercised jurisdiction to determine if (1) jurisdiction lies solely with KY, or (2) TN may still exercise jurisdiction, and if TN may exercise jurisdiction, whether TN wants to release jurisdiction to KY because it is now a more convenient forum.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.