Hinsdale, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: My ex-wife told the court that she was going to move farther away from where she was living.

I did not get joint custody but visitation. I wanted joint custody but it was not feasible. She never moved. I pay a good amount in child support and I was paying part of day care. As of a year ago I pay the same amount to her even though he no longer is in daycare. I make about $200 dollars before taxes more than she does and she wants me to pay more child support. I can't even get my own place because I pay rent to family and a car payment and other living expenses. She thinks she just has to fill out paperwork with my salary to get more money. Do I need a lawyer? I would like more time with my son since she never moved. How much will a lawyer cost to resolve this? I don't have a lot of money to shell out. I hope its a one time deal. Somehow she found my salary and filled out what she thinks she should get, says she is sending it to the courts as if they could just take more from me. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need a modification of custody in child support. Even though you mentioned you do not have a lot of money for the case, a reasonable budget for an hourly attorneys is at least $10,000 - $15,000 for this type of case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.