Asked in Child Custody for Missouri

Q: My son was to be home Sunday in custody papers what they say and he is refusing to bring him back how do I get him back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The first thing to do is try to text or email the other parent why he or she is refusing to return your child. If they do not respond, give a valid reason, or agree to return the kid promptly to you, then you can file a family access motion and what is known as a writ of habeas corpus if it appears he or she do not plan to return your child. You can get assistance with a family access motion through the court clerk's office (allowed by law for them to help with those) but not for the writ. You will need to talk with an attorney to assist you and advise you of the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.