New Orleans, LA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can my unlegitimized baby's father use that I'm not replying to him against me in court later?

My baby's father is not legitimized. He has been harassing me everyday since I left him. I stopped texting him back a week ago. My baby is two months old. He says one minute he don't want anything to do with her multiple times then the next he wants to see her all on text. My parents are telling me to keep ignoring him because one day he sent me 400 messages without getting reply from me. Can he use me not communicating about our daughter against me later in court? And would you advise me if he does get legitimized to start communicating with him about her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the baby's father is not legitimized he has no custodial rights. However, once legitimized, a court may later hold it against you for restricting contact between the child and the father. Albeit, 400 messages seems excessive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.